RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cost Of Charging 5200mah Lipos
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 07:31 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Cost Of Charging 5200mah Lipos

Yes and no. A serious driver may even put more strain on it at a track, with very aggressive acceleration and braking, reducing runtime further. Amateurs however, will stop and start, they will crash, so the cars will spend some time on their roof, and runtimes will be greatly increased simply due to driving style and the fact they won't (be able to) go as fast.

The only way to be sure would be to run an actual dress rehearsal at your planned venue, using the same type of person you expect to be catering to, I'm surprised you are getting such short runtimes, are the cars fully ballraced? (ball bearings throughout?) A traxxas guy will have to answer that for you, I'm not sure, but anyway if in critical places, bushings are employed instead of bearings, simply swapping them for good quality bearings will make a huge difference to runtimes.

The other thing you can do is reduce motor kv to extend runtimes, but of course that will make the cars slower in a linear way (for example, going from 3000kv to 2000kv will reduce top speed (but not acceleration which will still be instant) 33% as you would expect, and runtimes too will be considerably longer if not the full 33% also).

When I said (in your other thread) that I would expect half an hour from those batteries, I did mean in real life situations, not constant full throttle running.