RCU Forums - View Single Post - Should I try to fix it or buy the replacement?
Old 11-17-2012, 02:26 PM
sparky4lawndart
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should I try to fix it or buy the replacement?

Today was the re-maiden of the Zen 120...

I put a 7 channel receiver in and a pair of new 15lbs electric retracts to replace the mechanicals that used to be in there...

funny... I'm pretty helpful (try to be) and learned that I had in the last two weeks loaned out a full gallon of YS 20/20 glow fuel since I wasn't using it and only had enough for 1 tank today...

bolted her together, filled her up.. checked all the surfaces and she started after 3 seconds on a fresh plug...

leaned her a bit and she was ideling amazing... I have video soon...

everyone was shocked that this was the same plane that tried to beat the fence post 2 weeks ago.

walked her to the flightline and taxi'd out and she transitioned beautifully... i had all the pros around me giving me pointers and commenting on how well the Zen was tracking... with a 15X8 prop, she was fast... too fast... pulled virtical and just kept on going.. lots of pull on that motor.

7 minutes of flying around... I dropped the gear and cut the throttle on the downwind leg and came in... not wanting to make the same mistake I made 2 weeks ago I kinda ignored all the instructions being yelled at me (even the guy in the back screaming "flapperons!!!, use the flapperons!!!".

she crossed the end of the runway fast, i just floated her 6 inches off the deck waiting for the speed to bleed a bit... she rolled out 150 feet past the end of the runway... in the dirt.. btw... glow planes have an onboard dirt adhesion super magnet built in..

I have to figure out if "flapperons" are an option with my RDS8000 radio (it'll be tricky with channel 2 and 6 on different servos)... I think I can get it right...

You guys were great... I have another thread starting shortly as my new BH FW190 rolled a landing gear mount right out of the wing...

not alot of damage but I've got a little confidence now that, with what I've done in the last week, I have her back in the air in a week...

thank you, brethren... Sebo... you were right.. just do it and move on!!!