RCU Forums - View Single Post - How much work is too much on an ARF?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: How much work is too much on an ARF?

The cost of kits started going nuts a long time ago. On top of there price you still had to replace a lot of items like cowls and wheel pants with after market glass parts. Those prices caused me to start building from plans. When people look at plans they can be put off right away, no instructions or photos to walk you through the build so if you haven't built a lot of kits then just looking at plans can be daunting.
Depending on the size of the plane, plans building can save you a pile of money and still get you a nice big plane. Smaller planes can cost you more to build though.
All plans building entails is cutting your own kit from wood you have selected. It takes me about two hours to cut a kit myself. Last 80 inch plane I built cost me about $150.00 to build but I already had the canopy and landing gear on hand. The cost of the plans were about $20.00. I made a few mods and the plane was good for up to a 50cc, I used a 40cc because I had one on hand.
A good selection of kits is a thing of the past but there are still some being made. Plans are easy to locate and the selection is better then the old days of hobby shops stocked from wall to wall with kits. Plans building doesn't call for a lot of tools either, it can be done with a simple scroll saw and a sander. As a kid I was able to cut my own with a single edge razor blade and a sheet of sand paper.
Building isn't for everyone and ARFs have brought a lot of people into the hobby of flying. I don't use ARFs but these days I'm the only builder I know. Doesn't mater what you are flying as long as you enjoy the hobby. If you get a full season or two from a cheap ARF then it was money well spent.
Take a look at some of the planes offered by a plans service like M.A.N. plans, RCM Plans or even the AMA has a plans service. A lot of planes to dream about building at just those three sites.