RCU Forums - View Single Post - Let's gasify a Vanquish
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 02:43 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Let's gasify a Vanquish

If you look at the early photo shots you will see how that was done. It was much much easier to just open the belly up and create a tunnel for the pipe. The header fits nicely inside the fuse belly. The pipe and header are assembled off the plane and then slipped into position from the tunnel as an assembled unit. The header needed a little bending to accommodate the right thrust but again not a big deal. A little coaxing with a torch and it was back on center.

The pipe tunnel required cutting the belly side of the fuse formers down to the cross bracing but didn't cut the cross bracing. The Mintor pipe is about 2 1/4" in diameter so about 3/8" isn't fully enclosed. There's ample room under the gear mounting block to slide the header in place.

I played with the PTE this afternoon. I got it going quickly enough coaxing it with the Dynatronand immediately encountered some of the issues I've read about this engine. The plastic reed housing was leaking against the crankcase. The engine ran somewhat erratically so that may have been one problem contibuting to the erratic run.....Only ran 5 ozs gas through it but I could tell the 19x10 XOAR will work fine on the piped set-up. Good break in prop at least......

Most importantly, the fuse didn't experience any abnormal stresses or vibes eventhough it's very lightly built. I was pleasantly surprised to see the engine not shake that muchalthough it wasn't running optimally. It idled with minimal shake too. As the engine breaks in everything should improve