RCU Forums - View Single Post - Low tail in turn
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 04:01 AM
Franco2fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low tail in turn

I thought about asking this in the centerline thread discussion, but it really doesn't belong there.

Here's the question: I went to an auction recently to pick up a plane suitable for engine "break-in" duties. Got hold of a Great Planes sport 60 for 20 bucks, that had been slightly modified in that spacers were used to extend the nose. Previous owner stated it was very tail heavy and extended the nose instead of adding weight.

OK so I get it home slap in a SuperTigre that I want to break in and check CG and all alignments. Wing, stab, and engine all at zero WRT the centerline. CG is a little forward of the 30% point, but better a little nose heavy than the other way round. So I finally get the engine tuned, and have been flying the bird but it has one nasty habit. It will accelerate down the runway, lift the tail and after another 20 yards, rise gently with very little elevator input. At full throttle it will easily hold a 20-30 degree climb. Once at a decent altitude, I cut throttle back to mid range, and it flies level, but here's the rub. a slight left turn started with aileron, followed by some rudder produces a turn, but the tail seem to be very low despite this being a mid wing model. It turns like a heavy J-3 where the tail section doesn't seem to be level through the turn. Same results with a right hand turn.

My first thought was to add a couple of washers under the back mounting lugs so that there's more downthrust, but I'm not sure this would raise the tail in a turn.

I could also shorten the nose spacers thereby moving the CG back, but not sure this would change the way it flies.

Tips or comments welcome.

KKKKFL