RCU Forums - View Single Post - R/C Airplanes are not toys...
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: R/C Airplanes are not toys...

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

If you couldn't fly one of those preengineered foamie toys, you surely would be a failure .
And the problem with Preengineered is???

Please post a video of one of your own flights so we can all admire the superior piloting skillls you gained from building your own aircraft. .

Do you really beleive the average home made balsa aircraft requires more skill and is more challenging to fly than the F27Q Stryker?

I flew dozens of balsa planes as the clubs youngest instructor (17) and they were all much easier to fly..
Sorry about the video. I am 85 and blind in one eye so I don't fly much anymore. I suppose I could fly one of those foamies but I don't consider that much of a challenge.
BTW in the 60's the country I was living in invited me to enter the international aerobatic contest as their representative. But I was and still am an American I decided it would not be the right thing to do.
Unfortunately my glory days are over. One day it will happen to you.

I understand your dislike of foamies now.. same age as my Dad.. Perhaps a little condescending but age and experience gives you that right.

Go in Peace brother.

Regarding your comment on 60's Aerobatics, Genuinely interested in Aero's History as I spent 3000 hours teaching full size comp aerobatics during the 90's so I would love to hear more..

what A/C were you flying? Any historical articles?

Now I just fly for the sushii... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkwT9Jj4nF0

I attended the first international aerobatic champions in Dubendof SW. in 1960 as a spectator. Ed Kasmirski won. After DeBolt crashed and Bob Dunham had engine trouble. I managed to talk to everyone except Kasmirski. I ended up building a DeBolt Persuit. In those days , flying reeds, you had to land and adjust the trim with the linkage. The persuit took off and flew straight and level on its maiden flight.
When I went to Norway in 1955 the best hotel in Oslo cost $1.40 a night. I returned to the states in 1961. My flying buddy wanted to buy my Porsche but he couldn't afford it.
I went back to Norway in 2007 and the hotel room rate was $300/night and my buddy had become a multimillionaire. I felt like poor relation.
My buddy went on to win 7th in the 1965 internats, and 4th in the 1967 internats.
He flies electrics now. Here is a picture of the airplane he was scratch building.
He has a very impressive collection of radios and engines. He was looking for one of the Spacecontrol radios made in the '60s. If you know of one let me know and I will see if he wants it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64291.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1826080