RCU Forums - View Single Post - The politics of jet flying
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 06:32 PM
STKNRUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The politics of jet flying

ORIGINAL: essyou35

Its getting harder to and harder to find places to fly a jet. Airports ban us, clubs ban us. I can argue all day long how a 700 sized heli is more dangerous to a crowd than a turbine jet, it wont matter.

One glaring thing always amazes me, jet gusy spend $3-5k per jet, many of have multiples. Even in my area, were there are like 5 of us, if we all agreed to not buy a jet next year or 3 and pool our money we could build our own field with a nice runway and end all our problems for some time.

Now in Florida, where there are 100 or so, there is no excuse. Next year pledge to not buy a new jet, and instead pool your money, build a field, and ban EVERYTHING except turbines.

It seems so simple but seems no one ever wants to do anything except complain.

Joining together, setting a plan, even if a 5 year plan, this is how things get done.

I wish it were that easy. Maybe in Omaha it is easy to buy cheep land or cities with land they will lease to you. In most places it isn't the cost of a runway, it is the cost of finding enough land with no overflight problems of adjoining property or you need about 80 acres. Then there is the issue of trying to secure the improvements on the property with fencing, electric, etc. so that vandals don't destroy it. And then it has to be the right kind of property that doesn't require continual mowing to eliminate fire risks. What you end up describing in most communties is fairly valuable property that isn't cheep to acquire or the city/county has a better use for than a flying field for a dozen club members.