RCU Forums - View Single Post - LIFE battery charging in the plane question
Old 12-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: LIFE battery charging in the plane question

ORIGINAL: WRM

RCU is acting up . I fly with 8711s and have since they came out and not had a problem . You are probably right ,the hobby shops will make us change so we have to buy all new batteries and chargers . It's all about money.
Actually most hobby shops were slow to adopt the LiFe or A123 technology. Modelers started using them obtaining cells from drill packs, etc. then a few vendors started selling them to the hobby market. Others were marketed to the RC car guys but they were never especially popular there because LiPos took over that market. This all happened quite awhile before most hobby shops started selling these batteries on a regular basis.

If a Nixx battery is the same weight and capacity compared to most any LiFe or A123 battery, I guarantee the Nixx battery will have a far higher impedance. It will simply not be able to supply the same amount of current while maintaining a usable voltage than the LiFe battery will. The Nixx battery will be rated to deliver its capacity at a lower current over a longer time than the LiFe battery.

There are many quality Nixx batteries out there but at similar C ratings, the Nixx will be much larger and heavier than similarly rated LiFe batteries.

Similarly, given similar ratings, genuine A123 batteries far outperform any of the soft pack LiFe batteries and I use both.