RCU Forums - View Single Post - mold release options?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Foxman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: mold release options?

Sorry for the late reply.
I actually spray the plug after waxing with the same paint as I use on everything.
Then I give it a thick layer of resin and talcum powder and lay up over that.
The mould surface is just paint. It seems to work out ok and is very tough and durable. Never falls off.
I did have a bit of a bad surface on one mould recently because I left it outside for 30 minutes and it got really hot. So I rubbed it down and sprayed a thin layer of paint onto it, it came out really shiny.
The problem here in Thailand is the availability of decent mould making products so I have to use what I can.
I never use a Gel coat on the mould or the final product, just the paint which is a 2 pack polyurethane. This paint has a very fast hardener and is touch dry almost instantly.
You need to leave it overnight though for it to really harden.
The big advantage of a thin paint gel coat is that it doesn't ever crack like the old polyester types did and it saves weight. Plus it releases so easily.
The resin I use is just normal lay up epoxy resin. I have no specs on it other than the mix ratio but it seems to work ok. I used to work for Comp ARF and it is similar to theirs.
I guess it's a bit easier here because it is so hot that the resin remains thin and goes off quite well. Only got around 15 minutes though so I mix smallish quantities.
Jim