RCU Forums - View Single Post - Piper Super Cub is Flying!
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 07:28 PM
rsdonomoore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Piper Super Cub is Flying!

Thanks Biker! That's the bad thing about buying a used plane. The person I bought it from said he bought the floats from a friend of his and didn't know who the maker was. I can tell you that they are made of balsa. Solid foam sounds like a good idea. I'm assuming you can't hollow a part of them out to run a servo in there? In my case, I mounted a servo in the left float and ran a control rod to the hangar 9 stainless steel rudder I installed. On my nitro float plane, I used an abs plastic set of floats made by modelfly. They work awesome and have never leaked or given me any kind of problem. I ran a pull pull cable for the water rudder on that one. I'm no expert on gas engines as I'm just moving up from my nitro planes. Being a long time gear head I can tell you that I really am liking the DLE 30. I'm running a 19x8 prop on it and has tons of power so far. I can take off with just 1/4 throttle with no danger of stalling. I'm still on the break in period so I haven't given it full throttle yet. I believe that this motor prop setup will be capable of going vertical easily. I like flying scale so I don't really need all the power that this motor has to offer but it's nice that it's there. After unboxing the motor it always begins to start with full choke after three flips. When it stumbles and dies, I turn the choke off and it starts with just one or two flips. I didn't even have to play with the factory needle settings. I did richen it up just a bit during this break just to be safe. I'd highly recommend this engine so far