RCU Forums - View Single Post - EPX Slow on charged battery
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 02:57 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: EPX Slow on charged battery

ORIGINAL: RaveCrusader

Well I am now guessing it was the ESC..after messing with it and using various batteries I got it going at what I thought was a decent speed..then after about 30 seconds the ESC starting smoking and the entire base melted...yay...maybe I should have bought the EPX Pro..becuase I think I should just upgrade it for my son to a brushelss lipo setup...do you think I should go through Redcat for a replacement or upgrade? I am not real upset it went south except I did not get to enjoy baching with my son..upgrade or replacement parts?
Id get the replacement from redcat. They are good about warrenty parts, and if you tell them the ESC smoked they will ship you a new one. Might wanna look for a used traxxas XL-5 or simillar low priced esc. Ive gotten a losi 12t and a xl-5 for aroudn $25 shipped.

The epx pro has a couple of upgrades to help it cope with the extra power. At the least, I know it has a steel spur gear and full ball bearings. Im not certain if the epx has steel diff gears of if they are plastic. If they are plastic, they will need to be upgraded for sure.
So, to do it right you will need more than just a brushless system. Thats why I think getting a better, used ESC is a good way to go.