RCU Forums - View Single Post - Winter builds
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Rubbernecker
My Feedback: (22)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Winter builds

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

Oh, okay BtnFlyGuy, got it. Monokote is neat stuff although different, AFAIK the best in covering and hence why more expensive. I've got two packages of Dave Brown's Skyloft. It is silkspan like but synthetic so it's strong. Shrinks when wet, so it is applied wet. It is inexpensive, so been thinking about using it on my future CL open frame projects. May try water based PVA drywall primer as a sanding sealer on it. Need to get started on my Ringmaster Jr. repairs, broken wing ribs, needs new rudder, broken stabilizer.

Hope you'll give us a flight report on your CL planes when you get a chance, and I'll give one on mine when I finish repairs and fly it.
Not trying to be a know it all but will give you 2 recommendations: 1. Skyloft requires an enormous amout of filler. I used about 8 coats of dope to seal and it still had some pin holes. That weave has openings the size of #2 pencil lead. Silk or polyspan in my opinion are much easier. 2. I wouldn't use drywall stuff. What ever goes on the skyloft (silk and polyspan as well) needs to be flexable? Ask me how I know?[&o] Found out the hard way using Dupont 30 S primer with a flex agent on Skyloft. Painted it with epoxy paint and after about 10 flights, the covering started cracking very bad. Wound up pulling it all off and Monokoting.

Good luck,

John

Remember, there is a reason Skyloft is so cheap!