RCU Forums - View Single Post - why are wing tips UP , Down , or flat ?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:22 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: why are wing tips UP , Down , or flat ?

ORIGINAL: Leroy Gardner

I'm building a Tiger60 sport plane and I'm trying to improve the performance, dihedral has been reduced to 1% or 1/2'' at each wing tip. Question, if I put end plates from spar to 3/4'' high at trailing edge top side of tip will it perform better by directing the air stream over the aileron rather than flowing off the tip. Does it help reduce tip stalling. Is there a better shaped tip over the rounded up tapered block they give you to make tips from.

I want to learn to do knife edge, hover and the many things this plane is capable of, actually I have bashed it trying to enhance performance and wing tips are the last thing yet to do. There is alot of experience out there and I hope to gain some of it.

Thanks, Leroy

I've had a number of Tigers. They are straight wing planforms. That wing shape stalls naturally from the center out. I've never had a tip stall with any of them. In fact, they were difficult to stall. Snaps weren't automatic off the building board with the suggested CG, in other words.

They have strip ailerons. Those are the last choice a designer would put on a 3D model. Hovering wasn't something mine did without rolling.

Another problem with Tigers is the elevator is a strip elevator. There isn't any area in the elevator to speak of. I modified my last Tiger in hopes it would actually stall in level flight in order to get into an IMAC described spin. I doubled the elevator chord. It didn't help significantly. The horizontal tail is proportioned on the powerful side. It has more than enough area in the stab and not very much in the elevator. It's not ever going to be a sensitive animal without some major help.

The model was supposed to have been designed as a low wing trainer. It is an excellent model for smooth, flowing maneuvers. It lands itself. It's rather hard to get it into trouble. It's not going to be a very successful 3D, hovering devil.

what I would do about those tips..........