RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gyro for trim tab control?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 05:14 PM
powerjet 21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gyro for trim tab control?

Hi Dean

I have used gyros in my Matrix 51 Powerboat ! This model powerboat 51inches was designed by myself and another dedicated modellor with stepped hull lubrication + gyro and trims from the start for shaft and trim tab control and provided your trim tabs are designed properly in relation to hull size beam I cannot see you having any problems, but be aware that as your gyro gives you roll control it also eliminates crabbing in the turns which then leads to better speeds and the gyros will do their job of smoothing out roll control and stern height levelling.
We took the boat to a race meeting and our boat only had a 25cc zenoah watercooled engine and apart from test and trials leading up to race day this was our first boat race and we were pitted against boats with 30 -35- 40cc engines, our boat going into the turns were rolled by the gyro whilst the propshaft was adjusted autowise to compensate for roll and the result was our boat overtaking in the turns and keeping level with faster boats in the straights, indeed one competitor standing behind was overheard saying our boat would never work ! did he get a surprise ! so good luck with your project .
Will dig out pic of my boat and upload.

regards
John