RCU Forums - View Single Post - ethanol
Thread: ethanol
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: ethanol

$3.80 a gallon, you are getting it from the Empire state too! You also have the worst road system of any state that I have lived in, I partly because of terrain, partly due to the fact that everything was laided out two centuries ago. The three years I lived and drove in Rochester were interesting compared to Kansas, Texas, California, and Virginia. However, hard to get lost in upstate NY, since it seemed like every road was named for the two towns it connected, but never went around. So for someone used to much wider spaces, it seemed like stop and go driving. Although it was refreshing having moved there from California that at least you have the "go" part of driving. I would tell friends out there that a traffic jam was three cars together all going the speeding limit, while in California you sat on roads marked for much higher speeds and moved a couple car lengths at a time. Ugh!

Unfortunately for the consumer, what we call "regular gasoline" is a complex blend of lots of chemicals and there is no standard formula. Worst yet, the oil companies have had enough time to figure out that they can put out a poorer product, yet meet the requirements of octane with the addition of ethanol which boost octane levels. Since the addition of E10 products the oil companies are getting 3% more gas from a barrel of oil that they could not use before.

So I would bet that if you took the so called pure gas and mixed 9 gallons of it with a gallon of pure ethanol, you would not see more than a 2% drop in fuel mileage. But the commerically sold E10 may be all over the map, depending on what their blend is and your geographic region. Because the last time I heard, when they spike fuel prices on one coast or another, they claim that prices go up because each little region has it's own blend due to EPA regulations.