RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Canard Takes flight
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 03:44 AM
glowhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Canard Takes flight

I scratched this one from 1978 plans called XC1. The article with the plans leaves alot to be desired. The author gives only detail I could find on the plans, he makes the comment only advance builders should attempt this one. I didnt have a weight. The original techniques he uses are dated, and very heavy. I changed only what was too expensive or too heavy. Aside from that I stuck to the plans. It came out to be 7.5 lbs! Originally this plane was for the Enya .45 but I was doing weight and balance problems and found the nose to be very "light". He didnt even incorporate a fuel tank (he used a balloon). Toward the end of the build I switched to the Rimfire .46 800kv.
The batteries in the front (2 - 3s 2200) provided much needed weight, but not enough. I will increase the battery capacity by the summer. I only had enough for two flights, I spent the first set doing ground taxi tests. The Rim fire and the Eflite 80 amp esc was plenty of power and the airplane lifted off the runway without effort. I only planned on a two minute flight, I had no information on the Watt useage and didnt want to run out of battery power. The trim was perfect and the plane was on rails. The stalls speed was very low (as one should expect from a canard). Landing was straight froward. The nose gear broke on roll out (used balsa ply). I have built airplanes from kits or scratch for 25 years, and this is my first nose gear aircraft. (my first trainer was 75% built when I bought it from a friend) The XC1 is named Skyfire after my dog Skye. The airplane is fixed and the batteries are charged, I am hoping to take it up next weekend.

Rimfire .46 800kv, 12x6 apc pusher (try 13x6.5 next),eflite 80amp esc, 5 - 3004 futaba servos, Futaba 7c transmitter, 2 - 3s 2200, lots of money, 1year+ 2months build time

Next project, Japanese Shinden (in progress)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71891.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1842432   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10703.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1842433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88901.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	88.0 KB