RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can I get anything decent for under $300?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Can I get anything decent for under $300?

ORIGINAL: kyleshrub

I totally disagree with the above poster.
Bought my grandson one of thos DF-02s, and it was just about the biggest piece of junk I'd ever seen. He'd broken it twice in one day. No wonder it only cost 150 bucks. You can add all the brushless and 2.4g radios to it you want, and it's still a DF-02. You can't find tamiya parts hardly anywhere without shopping exclusively oneline.
what in the world did he break on it, and what in the world did he do to it? Hell was it even assembled right? Also how did he break it 2X in one day if you said you can't get parts? Was it broken that hodge podged together so something else would break?
I've owned my one over 2 years, another about 1.5 years, and only big thing I broke out of both of them was I snapped a chassis over a year ago on my brushless one(which has been since reinforced to not snap again) when I slammed it into a wall cause I couldn't stop it on the loose dirt it was on.
My nephew has also owned one for 2 years, and his is almost 100% stock (I've done one slight mod last summer to prevent the chassis break like on mine) with no broken parts. Hell my nephew snapped his pede's arms off, but his DF-02 still is in one piece.

Will say the stock shocks in the kit are kinda dumpy, and the front shock tower isn't the greatest(but upgrades exist, and are pretty cheap) but outside those its not a bad RC.

Also notice in my post I said about parts support being somewhat of a pain as I said getting the parts from japan or china is faster, and cheaper than getting them from tamiyaUSA...

As for the merv it SUCKS off road in grass. Unless its a well maintained lawn its going to blow. Dirt it should handle fine, Its also nothing spectacular stock, and requires a quite a bit of tuning to make it not handle like complete crap. Trust me I own one, and honestly tried selling it for a quite a bit of a discount 12 mins after I ran it. After I failed to sell it I threw $60 into upgrades, and almost have it working fine, as I still need new knuckle hubs as the stock traxxas ones are pieces of crap that caused my rear wheel to wobble cause the stupid retainer clip popped out(and is not even really held in good in the 1st place). Also the chassis will break from jumps as its extremely thin at points. So yes if you plan on plunking $40+ more down in parts, and taking a nice day to swap parts it might be good.

As for shopping online whats the difference if you wait 3-4 days to get it to your door, or wait 3-4 days for the hobby shop to get it?
I've need parts for my pede 4X4, and merv and my LHS told me 3-4 days... Went home got the part 10% cheaper shipped, and got it in 2. LHS parts support I don't see as counting for anything now a days seeing most don't even stock a good chunk of parts.

Edit:
BTW not calling you a liar on the DF-02 breaking I'm seriously curious what he broke. I'll be honest there's a lemon in every RC I've had 2 MT1's one would break every run no matter what was done, where the other would slam walls full throttle and break nothing. Same thing with other RC's my Jammin .5crt I cracked both C-hubs in half on the 1st run hitting nothing ppl were like WHAT DID YOU DO TO IT I'VE DONE <blank and blank> AND NEVER BROKE ONE. Did I hold it against the model? NO I just chalked it up to getting a dud part. Now if you see repeated people having issues with a particular RC, and there is no way to fix it then yes feel free to call it a piece of crap like the over priced Brama 10b.

I will say there are 3 known issues with the DF-02(that are easily fixable) one is the fork is too short which causes the wheels to rip the hinge off the chassis if you hit it just right(its fixable for $5 and 10 mins of time). Another is front shock tower is a little weak the major issue is the issue that develops is due to the alum front shock tower, as it will need either the fiber glass one to put over it, or one cut out of metal to put over the alum one to not crack the front bulkhead off when it takes a hit(I don't count this as an issue as it is one that deveolops after using a non-stock part). Third I had was shocks shafts were made of too soft of a metal that you just swap shocks you can get decent shocks for $10-15 a pair, but some people after I got mine said their shocks were fine and didn't bend so maybe Tamiya changed the metal or I got a bad batch.