RCU Forums - View Single Post - WARNING AVOID NITRO PLANES!
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 PM
IfIHadWings

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: WARNING AVOID NITRO PLANES!

R Pilot - Welcome to RCU and the hobby! Both can be addictive...consider yourself warned.

Like you, I bought a RTF foamie from Nitro a little over a year ago. It was an emotional purchase that I blame on Robert Conrad, growing up the mid-70s and my complete ignorance. I didn't know about RCU (and there are a couple of other good ones), I didn't talk to my local hobby shop (LHS) and I didn't go to a flying field...I saw something shiny on the internet and bought it. After realizing I couldn't fly the plane - partly due to the low quality Tx, Rx and other components and partly/mostly due to my lack of skill - I parked the plane, found an instructor, bought Real Flight basic simulator software and started at the beginning. I finally maidened that plane last month after learning on a half dozen other planes that were progressively more complicated.

One thing with Nitro...you won't get anywhere by telephone or email. Go to "RCDiscuss.com", search Forums and scroll to the bottom to find the forum dedicated to your manufacture (e.g.; Airfield, Nitroplanes, etc). Post your concern/request with your order number in the subject line and monitor the responses...you may get what you need. I was able to get a replacement Tx that was no better than the original but at least they sent one.

Someone mentioned that companies should part-out RTFs/ARFs as a way of making spare parts available...if you watch Nitro's forum you get the impression that is exactly what they do but then they sell the cannibalized kit to somebody else who ends on the forum trying to get the missing part. Caveat emptor...

R Pilot...find someone to shepherd you through this hobby. Folks who fly R/C are not shy about sharing their experiences and advice. You don't have to do it alone.

Happy flying and good luck!