RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tower really Futaba??
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2003, 11:02 PM
linclogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tower really Futaba??

Yup - it's made by Futaba. Not positive why it's so much cheaper but if I had to guess, I'd have to say, volume. Also, the radios built by Futaba for others that put their name on it are not Futaba's top-of-the-line radios. They're more like entry level, non-computer radios. If you buy the cheapest package that includes everything you get just standard servos, too. Nothing wrong with that - they're good, solid, time tested products but let's face it, they're not the latest, state-of-the-art computer models. Depends on what you want or need. I'd have to say these are fine for fun flying. But you'd probably want something else if you were into something more than that.

Tower is not the first to have Futaba build radios for them. Years ago, Hobby Shack had Futaba build some (if not all) their "Cirrus" line and my old Cirrus 900-FM is still my favorite radio. One difference with the Cirrus radio - I believe it was better than what Futaba was producing under their own name at the time. Just my personal opinion, but based on all the bells and whistles available on that particular radio, and the unbelievable low cost for what you got. Those were the days before computer radios or digital servos so you got a lot for your money.