RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nitro Vortex SS to Electric?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 05:55 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Vortex SS to Electric?

ORIGINAL: RaveCrusader

Question..when we first got into the hobby with my son we started with Nitro's...since then we have purchased three electric RC 's from redcat and do not use the Nitro Vortex or Shockwave much. Would it make sense to try and convert the vortex to Brushless? or is it ever possible? I love the truck, but would rather have it as a electric (for the kids is what I tell my wife).
possible but issues to overcome.
the trans uses a mechanical brake. electrics use the motor. The motor will stop, but the trans will "free spin" and not transfer the braking power to the wheels. Some nitro trannies you can "lock" them so they will transfer the braking force of the motor.

A custom motor mount would be needed. Can be made many ways and not that hard if you are handy and can work with some thick metal.

Removal of the upper plates, and probly adding a custom center plate to allow placement of the reciever there....while having the motor/esc on either side of the bottom.

honest opinion: do this if you enjoy modding and want the challange. In the long run it is rarely cost effective, between custom bits/time/electronic componants to do a conversion. It usually is the same cost to sell the nitros and put alittle extra in to buy another electric. Figure just $80 for a brushless motor/esc and you can see why selling the nitro and buying a $190 RTR brushless can make sence.
But again, the challange of the build can be half the fun.
It would even be possible to buy a epx pro chassis....upper plate...motor mount...spur gear...center shaft...battery bar....servo mounts....servo linkage, and probly a few other bits and use the existing diffs/suspension from the nitro (as these are the same between both models)