RCU Forums - View Single Post - Please help, was told electric was a good way to go for a beginner
Old 02-13-2013, 05:20 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Please help, was told electric was a good way to go for a beginner

ORIGINAL: kinslayer1973

I just purchased a Redcat Volcano Exp Pro and straight out of the box I have had problems. I charged the battery pack for 3 hours as recommended by the dealer and on the first run the truck just surged repeatedly in forward but runs perfectly in reverse. I tried tweaking the adjustment on the controller but to no avail, it actually made it worse. I gave up for an hour being frustrated then went back out to try again and it took off like it was supposed to then started surging again. Now its surging in fwd and reverse. Anybody have any ideas why this is happening. This is my second Redcat truck, my first is a Groundpounder which on the advice of my hobby dealer I upgraded the battery pack to a lipo 5800 which turned out to be a death sentence to the stock motor or esc not sure which. I want to upgrade the motor and esc in this as well since they are shot. Any suggestions for that?
It sounds like the low voltage detection (a function of the esc needed for use of lipo batteries) may be faulty. either that, or it is not calibrated to the radio right. I would try recalibrating it.
see my video below.
After that, I would check the function of the radio. You could pull the reciever out of your groundpounder to see if your volcano radio is the issue.
If neither of those sets solve the problem, then it is the ESC. Redcat will replace it if you fill out the warrenty form on their website.

As for replacement gear...plenty of options.
Traxxas vxl system
Team associated SC450 ESC/reedy motor
Ezrun/hobbywing 60amp system.
Most any 1/10 scale system with a motor that has a 3300-3900kv motor will work.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OkwkziFWE8[/youtube]