RCU Forums - View Single Post - Monokote....Never Again
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 04:55 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Monokote....Never Again

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Mono is just hit or miss, sometimes it works and sometimes not. I don't understand the having to buy fresh Ultra? I have rolls of it in my shop that are so old the paper on the back fell off and it works just like it always has. Never once have I had any come off? I will be giving the HK covering a try on my next build. Today I'm heading to the local hobby shops in search of some transparent blue covering. I don't care if it's mono or ultra but if I have a choice it is always Ultra.
Some guys are having great results with their MK. We have a builder at one club that has used MK for a very long time (I think about 30 years now) and he has sold or throwed away all of his MK because he said that it has never been as bad as it is now. He covers some really big birds and the last he bought was trash and it cost him a lot of money. He was very torqued! I do respect what he says as his planes prove his ability when it comes to covering jobs.

I don't cover a lot and I have had hit or miss with MK, as you have. I had some old rolls I bought from someone that are really old and some of it works great even now after all those years. I am hoping that some of the new MK will have corrected some of the issues being seen now if not I expect their sales to greatly decrease over the next several years.

The last roll of white MK I bought was garbage and about all I can do is use it for small patches until I use it up. It essentially has no shrink and doesn't stick hardly at all. You just have to use an adhesive to use it.

BTW, if you do any covering with HK can you post and let us know how it works? I am more curious about it than anything as to HK comparison in covering. Durability will certainly have to be tested over time.