RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Why of Clark-Y
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 PM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: The Why of Clark-Y

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

I, for one, don't want a model that flies BETTER than the original. I don't want a RE-ENGINEERED version. I'll never fly a full-scale replica...the closest I'll ever get is a scale-flying miniature. And if the original had adverse yaw, then I want to experience what it was like to fly with adverse yaw (and ''a boot full of rudder'').
The problem here is that unless some cheats are added, it will fly worse because it is smaller. One thing we do not have to worry about, is the marginal power some of these aircraft had. Our powerplants for the models are great.

There seems to be a popular misconception that real WWI airplanes were generally poor performers. In fact, most (excepting the very early planes) are real hot rods. From a standing start on takeoff, planes like Camels and Nieuport 28's accelerate like dragsters. The impression of low performance comes because they don't go awfully fast. With two wings and low RPM motors they definitely are limited in top speed, but for takeoff and climb they are very impressive. Remember, many of the fighters patrolled at altitudes above 15,000 feet. Try that in your full size Cherokee or Cessna 172 !

I occasionally work as a ground crew member for launching and retrieving full size WWI replicas. It's always a thrill to watch them jump off the starting line, tear down the runway for a few seconds, and then lift off in a surprisingly steep climb.

Power to weight ratio is a good indicator of an airplane's takeoff and climb performance. The lower the weight for any given power the better the performance will be. Consider the power to weight ratios of some of the WWI planes. A cursory search of the internet shows power to weight figures between 7.7 lb/hp (Nieuport 28) and 11 lb/hp (Camel). Compare this to some modern light planes (Cherokee Warrior, Cessna 172, etc.) which are in the 14 to 15 lb/hp range. Only the later 150 hp Citabria approaches the WWI fighter range at 11 lb/hp.

How do you simulate the rapid takeoff and climb, but low top speed with a model ? Mostly, you would use a large diameter propellor with very low pitch.

Dick