RCU Forums - View Single Post - Byron Christen Eagle rebuild
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 PM
heggen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Byron Christen Eagle rebuild

I have been working on the Eagle as time allows and have made some progress, though looking at it doesn't show much change. I have installed balsa edging on the leading and trailing edges of all the flying surfaces for ding resistance. Pushrods and guides have been installed and their exit points filled around the pushrod to look clean and neat. Formerly there were big holes where the pushrod came through the side of the fuse. The wings, tail, and fuse have been fiberglassed with 3/4oz glass cloth using Minwax Polycrylic. The repair of the tattered wheel pants is next. They are made with polyester resin and the epoxy used by the previous owner has let go of the fittings attachment to the axle. I am going to strip them down to bare fiberglass and fix the crack an holes with glass cloth and more polyester resin. The cowl, too, has some little problems which will be taken care of in the same way.
I am thinking ahead to paint and moving toward using acrylic enamel with a plasticizer. Any opinions on that?
I will try to get some pictures in the near future to show the progress.