RCU Forums - View Single Post - Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum
Old 02-22-2013, 02:58 AM
CFIT Gordon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

Hello fellas. With apologies for exhuming such and old discussion about a discontinued product, I have a couple of questions about some problems that arose when I dusted off my old Walkera 4-Channel, fixed pitch helicopter.This Walkera4 was storedun-usedin a boxforover 5 years, soI was pleasantly surprised tosee that the 8.4volt lipo battery could still take a charge, andgive me about five minutes of hover time in the living room.

Well, being somewhat rusty in myflying skills, I had a crash or two, despite lots of practice with virtual helis in thePhoenix4RCflight sim. In the aftermath of one of those light crashes, I noticed that the helicopter would stop responding to throttle inputs for a fewminutes, and then, just as mysteriously, would start to throttle up normally. I can tell then the throttle will get a response, because the heli's receiver gives off a series of beeps. When the beeps fall silent, I get no throttle response, and only seepitch and roll responses to transmitter inputs from my right thumb.

Suspecting that the main motor might have burned out when the heli flipped over one time, trapping the blades and keeping them from turning, even though I hadbrought the throttle back to zero the instant I lost control, I replaced the main motor with a new one I had as a spare, carefully soldering the four capacitors and one diodeto the motor housing and terminals. Charged the battery up tried to take a test flight, but the helicopter still showed zero response to throttle inputs, with normal responses to pitch and roll commands from the right thumb. Those elevator and aileronservos chirped as usual, but, that rapid beeping from the helicopter receiver, which had earlier meant that throttle inputs were about to spin the main rotor, were not heard. There continued to be zero response by the heli to all left thumb throttle inputs.
I am writing to ask if any of you RC pilots may have encountered this sort of problem with a Walkera4 FP heli, and if so, how you went about solving the problem of zero throttle response. The only component that I have not replaced on this helicopter is the receiver itself, and I would appreciate anyadvice that can be offered here regarding whetherintermittent receiver failure can produce thesymptoms I have described above, Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I have a load of spare parts of this little Wakera4 FP heli, so I don't want to deep-six it until I have crashed my way through that bag of spares and got my money's worth.