RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Why of Clark-Y
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: The Why of Clark-Y

I am currently acquiring info on the Fokker DVI. I got some plans for a 56" model and also received the Windsock data file today. My goal is to take a BUSA DR1 kit and scratch one into a Fokker DVI. I still have my DVII plans and am basically going to morph the DR1 and the DVII into a DVI, which is what that aircraft was anyway. I have wanted a 1/4 scale DVI for a long time.

In looking at these plans for the little DVI, the designer used a Clark Y in the center section of the wing but used a scale rib section at the tip. So this wing is using 2 different airfoils. The technique her is to stack your rib material and sand them tapering down in size. Only the tip and root section were given on the plans. I am not really sure what the benefit is here other than the tip would be higher lift. The DVII style wing likes to be built upside down. having the taper on the bottom.

Maybe I am just thinking out loud here, but I was wondering of you guys thoughts on using these 2 airfoils to maybe at least give the impression at the tip that the whole wing has under camber, but then possibly deriving the benefit of good aileron control with the Clark Y? But then maybe with the camber at the tip, the ailerons would still be less effective?