RCU Forums - View Single Post - Chip Hyde CG
Thread: Chip Hyde CG
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 10:38 PM
flyncajun

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Chip Hyde CG

Peter the prop vortex picture is nice , thanks I have seen it many times, plus a few other pictures that guys claim is the spiral slip stream. it`s not documentation from Nasa just a cool photo and, no body even know if it`s real. Just like the picure of a 20 ' long Alligator in New Orleans

If it is real,It`s nothng more than Prop tip vortex from a stationary run up. It will disipate and straiten as soon as it hits the wing, if it makes it that far . There is no way that air is still rotating past the wing. and if it hit the rudder there is not enough force to cause any ill effect anyway it would only be felt as turbulance.
just like a wing tip creates vortex traveling under high angle of attack,the prop does the same.

I`m too dumb to understand the artical thanks anyway but, It`s still conjecture.

Doug
don`t you think I know what P- effect or torque is, I read it on google too!
My Question to you is what do you think Spiral slip stream causes on a model plane. Please tell me , SO I can show you how to fix it, I want to help you understand how to trim the model your having trouble with. Do you Own a Contra! or have you ever flown a Contra drive setup? How can you qualify your expert knowledge?

No pattern model designer worries about the Spiral slip stream , He is way more worried about making weight Plain and simple. they can`t measure it because it is not real so they can`t fix it. . Any attempt to address it, causes other issues because it`s a band aid for the result of another problem. cause and effect ,,fix the wrong effect create another cause!

If the Contra straightens the "spiral Slip Stream" then why are they having so much trouble getting the airplane trimmed for it is straight air worse than crooked air LOL
The only GuyI know that didn`t have trouble trimming his airplane with the Contra, was the Guy flying a Valiant with a contra.
Could it be I`m lucky?
Have you ever seen video of ribbon tapped to a fuse while the engine is run up from idle to full throttle ,,you would be very surprised to see the ribbon just goes straight back no matter where you apply it to the fuse or wing.

Did you ever see a 40% airplane hover with smoke and watch the smoke spin or wrap around the airplane , NO,,does the airplane require left rudder to hover? NO,
The reason WHy it`s so hard to learn to torque roll is it`s very difficult to get the airplane to even actually start the spin the opposite of the prop and the torque force cannot even be felt holding a model off the ground and running the motor up. Even with no forward air speed, And hanging on the prop, goosing the throttle, it takes a large diameter prop and low pitch ,and there is no spiral slip stream seen. not even a bend in the smoke trail ,the smoke is just projected back from the prop the same angle as the engine thrust setting. Even when the plane is hidden with smoke and you hardly see the plane ,still no spiral slip stream. just turbulant smoke.

Almost all modern pattern designs can be set up to fly with no mix by just making sure everthing is perfectly aligned. not adusted crooked to counter act anything caused by using a 0-0 setup. but accurately measured and set perfect. A repair for the Myth is not needed just a little bit of common sense. knowing what causes the problem in the first place is the only way to fix it.

First ,left rudder belly tuck was blamed on the SSS after I understood what caused that problem and fixed it, then Left rudder mix at low throttle was blamed on it ,,then I figured out what causes that, Then yaw problems on radious exits were blamed Then I figured out what caused that! Man there is nothing left to blame the spiral slip stream on now. becuase it don`t cause any problems. and I`m bored.

So I Ask, What is your airplane doing so I can tell you how to fix it.
You would think,with all the YS powered airplane videos out there you would think somebody could show us a spiral slip stream on a rich run!
Even if I were to say I think it`s real, we have no way of seeing, feeling, or equating it. so it must not be real right? just like God

Bryan