RCU Forums - View Single Post - New FEJ Vampire T11
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: New FEJ Vampire T11

On another note...
I managed to get a few flight in on the Vampire T.11 from FEJ at Florida jets. Firstly I was really taken aback by how big the model is. I know this sounds daft, as we have all seen it in the photos. However. When I actually got to see the model in real life in the FEJ tent it was super impressive. I guess its as much the physical area of it rather than just the wing span that makes it have so much presence.
I must have sent 8 - 10 emails back and forth to the factory on just the subject of the Orange colour alone. I think at one point I said " if you cant get the Orange the right colour/ shade then lest pick another scheme" So it was with some trepidation that I saw it with my own eyes for the first time. Once again photos really do not do it justice. It is hands down thee most vivid, striking, eye catching scheme I have ever seen on a model. In the air it seems to glow. 10/10 Fej.
Onto the flying..
As often happens. The test flight conditions were not ideal. We had had a real run of bad luck, with two flame outs back to back of FEJ planes, so I was a tad anxious when it came to the Vampire. Sure enough on the first roll out we had a small fire and flame out just as we were speeding up to rotate. A little bit later and we would have been in trouble. As it turned out the open nose gear door was letting loose grass cuttings into the fuselage which were clogging the fod guard and suffocating the turbine. Ken and james worked hard to make it so that would not happen again and we were ready to fly again. The set up was less than ideal ( I really need to take a trip out to the factory and teach the guys about correct servo/ linkage and radio set up) Despite this the model flew like an absolute charm. I had a feeling it might be nice, but, but no idea it would be this good! Even from the grass it took off at exactly half power ( no more ) It tracked well, smooth and felt feather light on the sticks. I reckon a 120 -140 will be idea for this, and honestly reckon a P-80 will fly it from a hard surface. When you see the size of this model for real you will see how much of a shocker that is!
The Gear door attachment points need some work as they are too close to the hinge line, and it has the familiar fidget in yaw ( Tiny fins) that could do with a basic gyro to sort out. Despite this, the plane flew and presented really, really well. I think all those that saw it agreed that its a winner. At last a big scale jet that rally is as easy as a boomerang to fly and operate.
I love the way it packs down as well. The booms splitting where they do really reduce the area needed to transport/ store this big bird.
I am afraid I took no photos of the model at all. I know James took a video or two, which I am sure he will post up here. Please bare in mind that the model was brand new, it was pretty bumpy and not set up how I would like [&:] I look forward to getting my own example dialled in and flying to its max potential.

Regards Al