RCU Forums - View Single Post - Recommendations for those new to RC Flight
Old 03-20-2013, 05:01 AM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Recommendations for those new to RC Flight

Instructors that do touch and goes...love 'em! What an opportunity to practice everything that is important about teaching a new person to fly well.
When instructing a student, my technique to simplify the learning process is to focus on the fundamentals of the pattern and landing in BOTH directions. By the time they are soloed (being able to perform a pattern and landing or go-around in BOTH directions and fly a figure-8) the student has all they need to safely employ most four channel model aircraft. Some have soloed in 8 flights, others have taken 16 flights...some of this is up to the student. Also, after solo, progression is up to the student. Working on-speed landings in the first 1/3 of the runway and beginning aerobatics will cause the student to surpass peers that choose to "bang the sticks" without a goal to improve.

I love my Arrow trainer and keep it around to remind folks how much fun a trainer can be.

One thing we are lacking in the RC aircraft instructor realm is instructor quality control...but it is a hobby, with volunteers after all.

Choose your instructor carefully.