RCU Forums - View Single Post - DLE 20.....very hard to start (80+ flips)
Old 03-22-2013, 04:17 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: DLE 20.....very hard to start (80+ flips)

In short, the reed block "mod" is assuring that the reeds are sealed closed when the engine isn't running. Due to mfg. issues, there's a (slim?) chance they may not be.

Some are making the assumption that they are not sealing unless that mod is done - and I have trouble with that assumption. I just don't agree? Not saying there's no possiblity, only that there's many, MANY guys not having a problem! I am not saying that if you are having trouble that the reed blocks shouldn't be suspect. I am saying that a common sense trouble shooting approach would have the logical person checking the easist things first?

If you're the cautious type who likes to error on the safe side, when you pull the engine out of the box and you're checking the throttle and choke plate scews to make sure they're tight/plates are in alignment, maybe then pull the carb and check the reeds?

Just one observation. The guys having the most trouble are the guys just coming up to speed with gas. Either there's a huge coincidence regarding those guys getting the engines with less than perfect reed valves, or this issue is becoming blown way out of proportion..... something typical of the internet.