RCU Forums - View Single Post - OS 91 VRDF - care and feeding
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 11:42 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OS 91 VRDF - care and feeding

The classified ads will be the death of me yet, financially and matrimonially speaking.

I just picked up a NIB small head OS .91 VRDF. No instruction sheet, but I assume it contains the usual assortment of barely relevant info.

My goal of course is a prop application.

I need to pick up a bolt on header and pipe for it. I could go to Macs but notice that there were options available for the DF crowd, as in JMP header/pipe systems. But they are OOP and hard to find it seems.

1. Anyone have a recommendation for the most effective pipe system out there for this engine?
2. OS lists max hp at 23k so I will assume that is the in flight target rpm. I have a variety of CF D speed props so will look for something that runs in the 21k range on the bench open header. Sound about right?
3. I believe the head design and compression ratio are set up for up to about 30% nitro - yes/no? I'll probably end up using 15% fuel with 22-23% total oil content syn/cas blend.

In other words, anyone on this forum have hands-on running this engine in prop applications? If so I'd appreciate any input.

As soon as the ground dries up a bit I'll be out with the test stand and ear protectors.