RCU Forums - View Single Post - Loose aileron hinge
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 03:12 PM
tomfiorentino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Loose aileron hinge

Hey guys....

At the end of last year I had two flights with some flutter and I believe it was on the ailerons. I'm getting things ready for after the darn snow melts in upstate NY, and upon close inspection I can see very slight movement in and out on several of the hinge points.

Two options:

1. I picked up here on RCU that some guys cut the hinge at the joint and then melt the points out with a hot soldering iron. Then they clean the hole with a piece of sharpened brass tubing; replace the hinge.

2. Rather than do that, I have an idea to inject some gorilla glue at/near the end point of the hinge and let the glue expand toward the hinge joint. I work in healthcare and have some 20 gauge needles that I want to try; too bad I can't xray the wing! So I'm hoping someone has had the covering off an Aeroworks 50cc Extra 260 and can tell me what is in there by the hinges before I start putting holes in the covering.

Is the control surface side just soft balsa stock? Does the trailing edge side of the wing, stab and fin have blocking? What can you tell me in this regard?

Also, any other ideas are welcome too.

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Tom