RCU Forums - View Single Post - LST shocks on the CEN Genesis
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 12:15 AM
savage dust bunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LST shocks on the CEN Genesis

Well, between 2 kids, a job and a girlfriend...I've found the time to make this mod.

As I have converted the truck using CENs conversion kit, I wanted to save as much weight as possible, keep the truck as hardcore as possible and if possible, even make it look better.

It turned out to be quite simple.

You need the following:

4 x LST shocks - ebay is a cheap way to get them, fully assembled
2 x LOSB2900 plastic shock parts - the bonus here is that you also get spaces and other extra parts you may need if the driving gets too rough
1 x LOSA6242 caphead screws
1 x 3mm threaded rod at least 28cm long
8 x spacers/standoffs at least 7mm thick. 8mm and thick enough is the optimal solution
8 x washers 1mm thick - these are needed IF the standoffs are not wide enough to stop the shocks from travelling all the way to the tower
The rear area (where there is a hump at the end) of both TVPs need to be cut down to make space for the broader springs
EDIT: Hold on with the cutting of the TVPs. I'm looking at another solution so the rear shocks can be configured more freely.

Pros
Weight saving
It looks damn sweet

Cons
Mounting configurations are limited due to lack of space
The front shocks are exposed to the rocky elements - a fix to mount them behind the arms appears to be quite a challenge with, perhaps, reversing C-hubs, longer toe links etc etc etc

How did I do it?
    [*]Shave/cut/grind the rear ends of the TVPs in order to fit the shocks. Check the first picture for a better "explanation".[*]The original long screws can be reused for the lower mounting holes.[*]Cut the threaded rod into 4 x 7cm pieces. These are needed for the upper mounting posts.[*]Put everything together...[*]You can reduce the length of the threaded rods if you want a cleaner look. Around 6.5cm is probably the minimum length.[/list]

Here is a size comparison.

Savage vs Losi LST vs CEN Genesis