RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 10:12 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

sort of, but not really. I've just been through that with trying to get another set of plans printed out. There are two types of printers basically, ones that print to precut sheets that are limited in size and then there are printers that print to a roll and the prints can be as long as needed. The first is limited by paper size, the second you have a limit to your width, however length is more or less unlimited since the paper is on a roll and not precut. With the latter, whether your plan is 40" long or 50" long you pay by the foot and its relatively inexpensive to go to the longer page, maybe a few dollars more. I paid $30 bucks for the plans to be printed on split sheets at Staples and then went to Kinko's and had them printed on 1 sheet for just under $40ish.I paid 149 for the decathlon kit through Tower... I would have paid 159 if the option was there for single sheet plans.

I was more pointing to things like if you take a look at the wings for example.. one wing plan is cut off by only 1.5" or so... but it could have been shifted to fit onto one page pretty easily, since the margin on the other half of the wing is easily 4-5".

regardless, this is really just a nitpick and not a huge deal in the long run. I just wonder about cost saving measures like this. If they charged you ten bucks more and had the plans not require taping.... how many fewer kits would they really sell. I think the kit is already a decent deal for a giant scale aircraft. The next closest kit would likely be sig's 1/4 scale cub at $222.

ORIGINAL: do335a

ORIGINAL: mattnew

Just got one of these delivered yesterday to build.

Kind of perturbed the plans were layed out such that every single plan ( wings body etc ) were laid out such that you have to tape multiple sheets together to get a full plan. Not a huge deal to tape them together... just not sure why they couldn't have made the plans 2 sheets instead of 3.

Wood seems mostly good... some of the bigger stuff is pretty dense and I may replace it but we'll play it by ear as we go.

Plans are printed that way because it costs less. It's got to do with the size of paper the supplier have and the size of press that you've got. It costs an extra fortune to inclreas your press size from a max. 40" width to the next range. Very similar to balsa wood. As soon as you go larger than 3" width or 48" length, you get an astronomic price increase. If you have a speial size, it's even worse.

Check the bulkheads. Unless the plans have been updtaed, you'll find that the are a different width where shown as the sketches over which you build and on the top view of the fuselage.

Also plan on lots of weight in the tail.

All the best.