RCU Forums - View Single Post - DIGITAL SERVOS?
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2003, 12:19 AM
Shogun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DIGITAL SERVOS?

I just made the move to digitals and went ahead and bought the programmer as well.

It was worth every penny "to me" anyway!

The biggest difference between digital and analog IMO is holding power, they are also very precise and fast. Here's a test, turn on your plane with analogs and move the stick to deflect the elevator, next apply pressure with your hand to the surface moving it back against the servo's torque. If your going for max throws, out as far on the servo arm as possible and in on the horns, you will probably be able to push the servo back against it's torque pretty easily. Do that with a digital with comparable torque and it locks into position like a rock! Both types will "fight" to hold position but the digital wins the battle hands down.

As for power usage I think it's a good idea to go to bigger packs but it really depends on your airplane and flying style. If you "work" the plane hard the bigger packs really save on having to recharge a lot. I would think that for that Edge a 1200-1600 pack would be plenty beg enough and if weight is an issue I wouldn't have any problem putting a 1100 in the plane, I would just make sure I checked my packs often for state of charge and piece of mind.

The Hitech programmer is a gem and is really the only way to set up multiple servo installations like dual servos on a single surface or for getting dual servo'd elevator halves to match up DEAD ON. Yeah I know you can do this in many transmitters but if you match the servo's out of the plane you will find that they are right on the money once you install them. If your running a single servo per surface I don't think you need the programmer YET but to get the most out of these gems it's really a great tool to place in your box. I just set up my UCD 60 with HiTec 5625's on the elevator and all I did was match them on the programmer, because the DIDN'T match each other out of the box and no amount of fiddling with my 9C seemed to get them to match to my satisfaction. Now they are perfect and I don't mean close I mean dead on perfect.

Try that with analog servos!