RCU Forums - View Single Post - Redcat Caldera 10e Help!
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Caldera 10e Help!

ORIGINAL: ARG0220

Thank you both. The info has been really helpful. I currently run Venom 5000mah nimh. I don't currently have the money to do the switch to lipo. I'd need atleast two batteries and a new charger which could prove to be a pretty penny. I also ordered a 15t pinion not too long ago from Redcat but it's inner hole is way big compared to the motors shaft, and so won't fit. I must have purchased the wrong one. I love my Redcat...don't get me wrong. I've thrown it in harms way multiple times and have walked away fine. I live out in the woods and there is a super steep hill that we've built a bashing ramp on, and the Rustler has had TONS of broken parts. But the lack of aftermarket support plus the lack of brand parts to modify kind of sadden me. But i'll look into the correct pinion, lipo, and ofcourse Kleenex. Thanks again!
ah...a venom nimh.

well there is plenty of pep left in your caldera then. runing brushless on a nimh is like running a drag car on pump gas. It needs proper fuel. Im sure you nimh is pretty warm after its been run? Thats cuase the motor is trying to pull more than the battery can provide.
A 2s 5000mah pack will add a good 3-5mph more to your top speed....as well as improve acceleration.
A 3s lipo will add 15mph I think...maybe more.
You can buy a 2s 5000mah lipo and a charger for $80. Hobbypartz.com has some great stuff at the lowest prices. I run skylipo brand packs and have been for a couple of years. I use the thunder AC6 lipo/nimh charger. Both are sold on hobbypartz.com. You wont find lipo/charger for less and they ship from usa. You may have to save up alittle to go lipo...but it will be well worth the wait!

this pinion gear should work: http://www.redcatracing.com/11173-15T I do not reccomend gearing up tho. The gearing is very close to max as it is stock. improving your battery power is a safer way to increase speed. gearing up may cause the system to overheat and thus thermal shutdown.
the one you got is for the 8e models...their motors have 5mm shafts. the 1/10 scale models (except the twister) have motors with 3mm shafts.

there are many alloy upgrade parts availilble. kinda pricey tho. The front "C" hubs and steering hubs would be the upgrades I would buy.