RCU Forums - View Single Post - Redcat Caldera 10e Help!
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 07:27 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Caldera 10e Help!

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

this pinion gear should work: http://www.redcatracing.com/11173-15T I do not reccomend gearing up tho. The gearing is very close to max as it is stock. improving your battery power is a safer way to increase speed. gearing up may cause the system to overheat and thus thermal shutdown.
the one you got is for the 8e models...their motors have 5mm shafts. the 1/10 scale models (except the twister) have motors with 3mm shafts.

there are many alloy upgrade parts availilble. kinda pricey tho. The front ''C'' hubs and steering hubs would be the upgrades I would buy.
Nitrosports is definitely the one to consult when it comes to questions regarding electric, I do want to say though that we've run a 15 tooth pinion on my son's Caldera 10e and have never had a problem. Now to be honest, I've never put the temp gun on it. I couldn't even tell you what the running temp should be, electric is really just not my thing. I bought this Caldera 10e used almost two years ago and really just never paid much attention to it. It's been bullet proof with the exception of the front steering knuckles which we eventually upgraded to aluminum. But other than that, I geared it up to the 15 tooth and swapped to 2s lipo and have been running it that way for over a year now without any issues. But I don't want you to take my advice and wind up burning something up, just telling you what has worked for me.
it may depend on where you are running the caldera.
my friend had one that he put a tmaxx roll cage/body panels on. this added some weight. he had the stock gearing and ran a 2s lipo. In a sand pit he ran a full pack. when he put in a second pack tho, it only ran for a minute before it thermal shutdown due to heat. While he had stock gearing, the added weight combined with running in deep sand and up sand hills was to much for the motor.
If on flatter/harder ground, the increased gearing may be ok. I assumed based on my friends truck that gearing up might not be wise. But I havent done it myself. If Dads has run 15t without issue then it may be fine on the right surfaces.
I dont like to have my ESC's run over 140=150 degrees. Motors can run 160 and be safe. I have run a brushless motor as hot as 190 before without damage...but 160 is a better range for long life.
Temp guns are $15-$20...and worth the price if you want to experiment with gearing or different batterys or different tire sizes. Its alot cheaper than having to replace your ESC or motor because they got to hot. While the ESC has a thermal shutdown, you cant always rely on that stuff....and it doesnt kick in until the temps reach a dangerously high range.
My trusty duratrax temp gun has prevented me from burning up more than a few systems!