RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/8 scale TopFlite Corsair Mods
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2003, 08:58 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Front Landing Gear Doors

Here is my design for easy to use/ install yet semi accurate scale landing gear doors. Actaully tho, you should make the top line angled as shown in the scale drawing (from posting above this one).
Rather than making them from 1/8" lite ply (as Top Flite does), I make mine from a lamination of 1/64" ply and 3/32" balsa. I use a large glass jar to attain some curvature during the lamination process, as true scale doors are not flat, but rather have compound curves to conform to wing shape when retracted.

I begin by cutting the 1/64" ply pieces.
Next, I soak 2 balsa pieces which are larger then the ply pieces, apply 30 minute expoy to one side of the ply pieces (be sure and make 2 opposites), then attach the oversize balsa pieces and then use rubber bands to wrap (ply sides out) the assemblys around something with a large radius curve, such as the top area of a large plastic jar. You will have to judge on your own an apprpriate size, mine was about 6" diameter.
When the eopy has cured AND the balsa has dried, you can remove and sand the balsa to the outline of the ply.

This drawing, like the others, is 1/8 scale/ actual scale size for Top Flight (and Royal) .60 size Corsairs. In order to print it correct size, you may need to download it first, then open it in a program such as Adobe Photo Deluxe, and print it from there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90327.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	62464