RCU Forums - View Single Post - Internal exhaust Ducting... ??
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2003, 11:49 AM
RPZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal exhaust Ducting... ??

FINALLY made it to the fuse portion of the build on my Patriot... Spent a LOT of time on the wings and tail feathers to ensure they were clean, strong and hinges set up perfectly... No I am at the point where I get to decide how to mount the engine.

The plan is to mount a Jett FIRE 60L... note that this is a rear exhaust motor. Originally, I was thinking of ducting over the FW and the tank into the canopy area and out over the turtle deck - a lot of mods and not too clean looking. Then I was thinking along the belly-pan with the engine inverted - except the pipe will sort of be in the way of the nose retract and possibly mounting the wing may be difficult. Now I am thinking of a conventionally mounted engine, moving the tank elsewhere and running the pipe through the fuse and exhausting in the tail cone (after all, that's what it's for right??

I was wondering if anyone had any thouhts on this - obviously, I do not mind deviating from the plans, and this bird is targeted for 170mph... streamlining is verrrrrrrrrrry important to me on this one. any ideas are welcome. I am not looking for any real aerbatic capability, just all-out speed. If the tank(s) were moved back over the wing saddle, would this be too far away from the carb? what about a one-way check valve on the return feed from the pipe to ensure positive pressure on the tank? What about a bladder tank?

If I run the exhaust internally, how much airflow will I need to keep things cool enough in there? Maybe those fake intakes could be made real or something... a scoop just behind the cowl, or something??

Questions, questions, questions...

Thanks to all who chip in...

Cheers,

Randy