RCU Forums - View Single Post - Magnum ALA Vicman
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 07:54 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: Magnum ALA Vicman

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

The thick trailing edges on delta elevons leaves them with more structure to resist flutter.
[I've never experienced elevon flutter either way]
The blunt, "flat plate" control surface gets into the airstream with less deflection from neutral..so this would contribute to sensitivity..or in other words quicker response from neutral. I think most control line precision aerobatics flyers [who get down graded on every slight burp their models make] would say sharp trailing edges promote smoother tracking and less sensitivity around neutral control.
As far as RC speed planes go....thick trailing edges just look "hen house"...........
Pattern and IMAC airplanes have been going to thick TE for a while now. I agree that the look is odd but the result is worth it. I would agree that the effectiveness around center is better and thus on a CL model could be twitchy. R/C guys would just dial in a little more expo, CL guys would move the lines in on the handle both would benefit from the higher degree of control close to center. At least that is what the CL sunt pilot I hang out with seems to think. We are gearing up to make him a set of thick TE elevators and flaps now. My race planes do all have razor TE, to keep them strong and still the whole stab and fin are glassed with 2 layers of 1.5 oz cloth and bagged. The elevators and rudder are separated after the bagging process.