RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hobbyking battery quality question
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Droiddr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobbyking battery quality question

Thanks

I will take a look at hobby wholesale next I shop.
Your advice sounds real balanced and common sense (common sense is not that common )
You get what you pay for in general, and a cheap battery can be all you need if your application for it makes sense. (current draw, charge time, lifespan etc)
That is why I bought the 2 20$ batteries. I want to chuck my 7Ah lead acid and strap a lipo on my starter. That will get my feet wet for hobbyking stuff. Went with the nano-tech as opposed to the regular turnigy as the prices difference was only 5$ or so.
After this I will see where that takes me for choosing hardware to electrify my extra300.

Good advice on the wheels, but I beat you to it
I knew grass takeoffs were going to be a problem for me with those tiny cheapo wheels as I fly the apprentice next to my place in a school soccer field. There is a fine gravel track along the soccer field which is my runway, if not taking off from the grass ( or 'landing' there)
My friends call the apprentice the weed-whacker since 1 of them flies an apprentice there.

I had 3 2.75 inch du-bro rubber wheels gathering dust. At first I put some glass fiber reinforced tape to adapt for the different wheel axle size. That lasted me a few days until things got gummed up in there and the wheels felt they were on breaks all the time. I just put on a small length of straw that adapts the axle size just great and works well. Simple solutions are best I find.

Now everything is fine for takeoffs and landing on grass or gravel.

Thanks!