RCU Forums - View Single Post - fiberglass over foam?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 04:20 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fiberglass over foam?

BikerBC, I got the epoxy part figured out and thank you. I only have this 48 g/m2 stuff and there are no local suppliers for anything lighter so I will just have to make due with what I have.

Box Car, I read two threads, begining to end last night about the liquid sheeting (stayed up way too late). That stuff looks pretty cool but right now this is the only thing I need it for and it looks like 8 oz will be more than I need for a long time. About halfway through the first thread, I had a feeling it was some sort of modified bed liner because the bed liner I used for my truck said it needed the moisture from the air to cure.

alasdair, It is indeed the bead kind of styrofoam but the density is the same as the blue foam I have used on other projects ( I weighed a 1 square inch piece of each on my reloading grain scale). I didn't know however that the stuff would soak up water between the beads, I just thought the beads were water tight between them. As I look closer though I do see that in the places I cut and sanded, after covering with epoxy and cloth, I can see the pits where there were voids between the beads.

I did a test last night with a small piece of foam and a small balsa edge. The fiberglass does look like it held on to the balsa better than just to the foam. It is not that difficult to cut the groove for the balsa edges so I might just go that route and then fiberglass them with the fiberglass I have on hand. I have Zpoxy to use with the fiberglass cloth. From what I understand, after the glass is saturated and then squeeged off, there is not much more strength added with more epoxy. I dont plan on "filling the weave" for a smooth surface on the sides or top if it will not add any strength. I can live with the weave look.