RCU Forums - View Single Post - Redcat Caldera 10e Help!
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Caldera 10e Help!

the big diff between the caldera and traxxas vxl models (other than price!) is that the caldera has a rather small brushless motor. While its fast for a $200 truck, it will not match a lighter-2wd traxxas with a full 540 sized brushless motor. That vxl motor more powerful for sure. Even if you took the caldera motor and put it in the rustler or stampede it would not be as fast cause it just doesnt take as much amps.
But that is one of the reasons a 1/10 vxl is near $400 while the caldera is $200.
Its great tho that there are now a few 1/10 4wd models on the market with these lower power brushless systems at a lower cost. They may be smaller brushless motors, but they are still WAAAYYYY better than the brushed motors that used to be the norm.

Guys, when I first started with electric rc's I was happy to get 25mph without overheating my motor, and 10 minute runtimes were the norm as well. And that was on a 2wd chassis! Now a $200 4wd truck with a $30 lipo battery will do around 35mph and run for 25-30 minutes!