RCU Forums - View Single Post - O.S. GF40 4st gas
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 09:33 AM
akouzmit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: O.S. GF40 4st gas

ORIGINAL: ozzieflyer

ORIGINAL: MKnutson

Iv'e got the DLE 35RA rear exhaust also, and it is no slouch in the power dept.
Power to weight, the 4 strokes will never be as good as similar size 2 strokes for all out power.
I wasn't going for sheer power it the choice of this engine, my dle 35 will spin the same prop a bit higher than the OS. I got this engine for the inherent quality of OS and for the 4 stroke sound.
OH, and the ''sound'', my wallet is a touch thinner from this thing too! I like it enough to possibly get another one.
I could really see this engine residing on the front of a H-9 1/4 PA-18 cuper cub! That would be another perfect combo.

Mark.
So, thinking of getting one of these for my 88 inch Tiger Moth.
What do you think?
Tiger Moth needs a 4 stroke, just for the sound.
For 88" TigerM 30cc 4-stroke will be more than enough otherwise it will be a rocket with 40cc and doesn't fly scale :-).
SAITO FG-30 will more suitable although I believe in 6 months OS will come with ~26cc -30cc size 4-stroke gas and after that with ~60cc twin based on the previous 26-30cc single one. This way SAITO went in the past.
If you need now then go with Saito FG-30 (very good engine). If you want OS brand then wait for several months untill they will come with 26-30cc 4-stroke gas. This is the trend.
For the reference Saito fg21 produce 5.5 kg thrust with well suited prop and right RPM.
Saito-FG-30 shoul do even more. If you plane is in 6.5-7.5kg range then 5.5kg thrust is sufficient for scale flying.
30cc 4-stoke gas will be more than enough for your TigerM.
OS GF40 is a bit overkill.