RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fiberglass Layup for a Large Model
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Caygeon Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass Layup for a Large Model

I would appreciate some guidance on the fiberglass layup for a project that I am building. I have never done a complete composite fuselage before, so this is a learning experience for me.

I am building quite a large model of an aircraft that looks much like a Seabee amphibian. It is a high wing pusher aircraft, with a relatively narrow tail boom extending out to a large fin and rudder. The fuselage will be about 9 feet long, 22" deep and 18" wide. Yes I know that it is awfully big! But keeping the weight under control is still an issue.

The wings and tail will be built-up, but the fuselage will be composite construction.
The plug and moulds are almost done, but I need some advice on the composite layup for the fuselage.

The advice that I have so far is to use an initial layer of 3.5 oz. satin cloth. Then two layers of 6 oz. cloth, with a sandwich of 2 mm thick foam in key areas, such as the hull bottom, to improve stiffness and rigidity.

Also some carbon fiber reinforcement in high stress areas, such as a vertical run up the large fin to the stabilizer attachment point, and in the tail boom.

Also a couple of bulkheads in the centre cabin area under the wing to provide stiffness and support from the wing and motor mount down to the hull bottom to carry landing loads.

Am I headed in the right direction with this?

Comments are welcome!