RCU Forums - View Single Post - HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV
Old 06-23-2013, 07:46 PM
mnemennth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

ORIGINAL: ingleburn

ORIGINAL: mnemennth

Brian - That HobbyMate 800 is one of my picks; it is a rebranded BigAole BeastX clone. Let me know if you still have it and want to make a deal; I'm sure I must have SOMETHING you'll want.

Kozzy - I know; I've seen people zip-tie the motors to the frame too. I don't think it's a good idea, speaking as someone who uses zip-ties on a daily basis for what they're intended for:cable management. Zip-ties degrade under UV light; the locks get brittle with age and break because of exposure, even to fluorescent light. Remember, the "spring" part of a zip-tie is just a bit of plastic 0.020" thick; they are not intended for mission-critical attachment. Also, remember that the lock is also a biggish chunk of plastic which affects the balance of your motor; precise location of that mass is necessary to not throw your motors out of balance.

I know they're so convenient, the temptation is there to use them for EVERYTHING. That's not such a good idea sometimes...

mnem
"Zip Tie" is Geek for "Duct Tape".
It was me that has the Hobbymate gyro and I think the postage might be a killer.

As for zip ties on mission critical stuff use thesewww.tradewarehouse.com.au/cable-ties-clips/stainless-steel-cable-ties-316-marine-grade.html Be a bugger to get them off though.

Dangit, I knew that too; I guess I got to snerking over Brian troll... err, teasing "Da KeyCam Guy" and jumbled it all together in my "still up at 6am"semi-lucid state. I imagine the post from Oz WOULDbe a bit on the stiff & crunchy side; makes me wonder how those vendor guys can do "Free Worldwide shipping" and still make a profit.

I have those too, and the gun to cinch 'em down with. We mechanics use 'em to hold CV Boots on. They come off easyer'n a prom dress with a good pair of dikes (Shut up Brian; I KNOWyou know what diagonal cutters are ); and if care is needed, the ol' cordless Dremel makes short work of 'em too.

ORIGINAL: Kozzy_98

The motor is attached to the booms with some nice bolts, but I was going to attach the props to the motor bell with zipties.
The junction at the blade is somehow less mission-critical than the one at the frame?The one at the blade has to handle every bit as much load as the one at the frame, plus it has to carry the weight of the motor which the one at the frame does not. At least the base of the frame you can put 4 zip ties, so up to 2 of them can fail (if you're lucky) and you still bring it down in one piece; if either one on the blade fails, you're going down. Plus, the way they usually do it tying through the holes in the bell makes it really easy to warp the blades, since you're tying to an area of the blade that has no direct support underneath.

It's your lawsuit dude; pursue it as you see fit. But there's a reason they call the big nut in the middle of a propeller the "Jeezus Nut".

mnem
You kill me widdat thing, Im'o come back and HAUNTyour @$$. Every time you gettin' ready to do some fur-partin' on your woman, you'll have MYUGLYFACE pop up RIGHTthere to remind you. "Hi-i-i-i! Remember ME?I'm the guy you KILLED with your death-copter! Here, have a little ECTOPLASMICBLOOD!"

You'll never be able to get it up again.