RCU Forums - View Single Post - HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV
Old 06-24-2013, 04:35 PM
rikybob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

ORIGINAL: mnemennth

ORIGINAL: rikybob

ORIGINAL: helicrazedout

Thanks for the help guys! Yes you are 100% right it would appear as if my eyes are bigger then my thumbs so too speak. Since you asked let me tell you just where i am in terms of Helicopter flight experience. I started flying about 5 years ago on a Co-comanche 4ch quickly grew out of it and bought a Trex-450pro which i flew for about 3 years. During those 3 years i became quite good (at least i think haha.) at normal sport flying figure 8s, nose in, basically flying the t-rex pretty hard. I have NEVER attempted any 3d nor any setup for 3d flying. i would like to try it someday. Then came the day where i crashed my t-rex very hard basically wreaked the chopper and on the shelf it went.

I dont know why but it sat on the shelf for the next 2 and half years and i never repaired it i guess that's life. After that time period off the shelf it went i bought replacement parts and basically built it again this was my first time actually repairing my t-rex 450 myself as before my local hobby shop used to do my repairs as a service they offered. I have come to the realisation that i want to be able to fully build and set-up my helicopters myself i don't want to rely on a hobby shop for building or set-up as i once did. This was only recently that i fixed my trex-450 about 2 moths ago and i really love it!

I then began looking for a bigger helicopter in the 600 size and bought a KDS-600 Innova which came complete with all the parts and electronics but totally disassembled. It is now sitting half built on my shelf complete minus the electronics which i am so eager to put on. I am only waiting for the batteries to arrive then i will try my best to set-up all the electronics. I will not lie i feel like i am in over my head with this chopper in terms of proper set-up but i guess i have to learn sometime. I am also waiting on a HK-450 to arrive in the post which i have all the electronics for. I just thought that getting a blade mcp would be a good and cheaper way for me to make my entrance into 3d flying as i am not keen to try it on my other choppers, also its nice to have an indoor heli

And that my dear friends brings me to the point where i am right now. Okay now you may all criticize me relentlessly since you must all think i am mad trying to go for 3 helicopters at the same time when the truth is i am not a very experienced pilot but i am more then willing to learn. Yes i am probably in over my head but it is too late to turn back now

@mnemennth i have a phoenix 4 sim and a Dx7 not Dx7i. I just have to say that your posts are some are the most helpful i have ever read much appreciated!

Jonathan
Great benchmark Jonathan!

You actually are where you SHOULD be. Not mad at all!

Enjoy the builds (bigger 'uns are easier to build and fly)!

Prolly the 9 series of which Mmnennthqth speaks is the route to go rather than the MCP X BL. It is AMAZINGLY powerful as the walls are undoubtably in your home!

Yah, Mmnennthqth is not only informative but wildly entertaining!

Infotainment!!!

b

Jonathan -

From what you describe, I'll say you're probably right around where I'm at, only you were able to develop some chops with the 450 before totaling it, while I just totaled mine time and again. You are at the level of ''Comfortable with hover flight, just starting on basic aerobatics''.

I think... if you've never done indoor flight you'll want to start with a V911; you need to get used to being aware of your space. 0utside with a 450 you can always go UP if you get in trouble and you get used to having the great outdoors to ''fly sloppy'' if need be. Indoor flight, especially in a house, requires a bit more precision and the V911 is a good start at learning that, plus it's CHEAP.

This is a tough call actually, since I've never actually seen you fly. You could fly the V911 for a couple weeks and get bored with it and be needing a V922 or mCPX, or you could find like my buddy Brook that the V911 is a nice way to practice basic hover skills inside without worrying about crashing and costing yourself $50 in a half-second. (SO easy with any Collective-pitch microheli) Either way, the V911 is the cheapest way to find out and if you DO get bored with it quick, you'll have no trouble getting 3/4 of your money back unless you've totaled it; which will cost like $7 to fix. In which case, it REALLY IS what you should be flying, at least for an indoor heli. The CP microhelis are just SO quick compared to a 450; you'll find yourself bouncing off of walls, ceiling, floors, fans, the dog, etc and not really learning flight if you're not absolutely ready for them.

If you want to learn how to build and service your heli, start with MikeysRC.com:

http://mikeysrc.com/Low-Cost-450-Heli.html

Pay special attention to how to set up the head and servos; I learned more from 2 hours of his videos than days of reading on the web.

For the basics of building to the fundamentals of flight, there is none better than Finless Bob. Start here:

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692

You'll learn a LOT.

I'd say start with learning how to properly set up both your 450s; once you get a handle on that, apply what you've learned to the 600 and that build. It's a lot easier to transfer knowledge from one heli of a type to another of the same type. Remember, you can still build the 600 and get it set up, the hardest parts, without the batteries and motor. Actually, probably a good idea to avoid temptation. The KDS-600 is a nice bit of kit, but the head and driveline geometry are different from the 450V2 & 450Pro. Once you fully understand the 450 (if you have to ask yourself if you do, you don't yet) and how everything works together to make a flying machine, and you realize how the things that are different on your 450Pro and your 450V2 work to do the same job, and how they are different, you'll be ready to set up that 600.

I know Brian is right in that the 600 will probably be easier to work on because it's bigger; but we're talking about learning, too, and I don't think he would have been able to appreciate the strengths of his 500 near as much without his experience with the 450 first.

I found much the same thing working with my microhelis vs my 450s.

mnem
ZZZzzzZZZzzz...

Agreed.

With his personal situation since he has and will have 450 kits in his hand and having already mastered the damnable little platform I would master the setup there 1st before lopping an arm off with the 600.

Probably your best bet is to follow the Creepy puppet dood (Mikeys RC) but just don't let him touch you in a bad place and utilize Finless.

You're biggest stumbling block will be YOU.

Don't get too jazzed and go slow and check, check double check what you're doing and don't be afraid of leaving your blades off!

Safety 1st! Not 3rd!

b