RCU Forums - View Single Post - carbon fiber install question
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 05:47 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default carbon fiber install question

I have a few questions for you guys who are familiar with carbon fiber,, (YES I HAVE SEARCHED and am still confused)

I am in the process of repairing a 3w 40% airframe and am using carbon fiber but Im not too sure about what to use, I am familiar with fiberglass and how to lay it, but I am going to use carbon fiber on this one, and got a few questions.

1. The carbon sheeting is easy enough to figure out, its just stiffer than the glass I have used, but I am not sure about which resin to use, for the glass I have been using this zpoxywww3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p but I am not sure which to use on the carbon fiber, I have searched and the one thing that people agree on is to use an epoxy resin, but I am not sure if what I am using is an epoxy or what?? Which resin do I use?

2. the previous owner had already laid down some carbon fiber sheet in the landing gear area, I need to put a little more sheeting going around the top inside of the cowl because it was cracked during his dead-stick landing. I am going to make 2 formers that run from one support to another, and they sit on top of the carbon fiber sheeting that he has installed, the formers I am going to use are cut out of a carbon fiber honey comb panel, When I put these formers in, what epoxy do I use to get a strong bond, I have read about some kind of GREEN? epoxy, just not too sure on this one guys,, dont want to get it wrong

thanks for any help,,

Ronnie Dean