RCU Forums - View Single Post - H9 Pulse XT Brotherhood
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 07:17 AM
fly24-7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9 Pulse XT Brotherhood

ORIGINAL: jeffsend

I fly an XT 40 equipped with O.S. .46ax,Futaba servos(3004's I think),and just recently switched over from Futaba FM to Hitec 2.4ghz radio. I've flown this plane for maybe 3 years now,and have really wrung it out. It is a lot of fun. It is capable of beautiful knife-edges,point rolls,stall turns,etc. I have not been able to get it to flat spin,but got close as I moved the cg back. I prefer to fly with the cg in the normal range however.
My Dad flies the 60 and I believe he has a Saito 100 on it. I have flown his 60 and one of the smaller electric versions as well. They all fly about the same,which is a good thing. Like most ARFs,the landing gear area could use some beefing up. I used to fly off a VERY rough asphalt runway,and one day hit a bump which ripped the gear out. It was still hanging below the plane and the belly landing resulted in the wheel pants being shoved through the wing. Dad helped me with the repair and I haven't had any problems since(until my radio glitch with FM). Still flying it though.
I feel the 40 size as I have it set up is about perfect for mild to wild sport flying. It's a little difficult to grease the landing without a bounce or two,and can ground loop in a cross-wind if you're not quick enough on the rudder. But for the most part,I wouldn't change anything aside from strengthening the landing gear area for those unexpected rough landings.
I agree on the bounce landings. The gear is soft and you have to work at not bouncing the landing. Fortunately, I've never ripped the gear out of mine, but what you experienced is a common outcome when wheel pants are installed. I haven't been able to get anything that resembles a flat spin, however, I'm not that gutsy to run the plane with the CG too far back.

Did you do any radio mixing to dial in knife edge flight?