RCU Forums - View Single Post - Prop Pitch to Slow Plane for Landing
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 07:33 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have been rather involved in warbird pylon racing for a lot of years now and setup and flown many racers for the fellows and myself. Heck I thought I had retired but recently got dragged back kicking and screaming by the fellows and even involved with a local race next weekend.

The point of this is those airplanes which are typically grossly overpowered ARF's will use rather short propellors and very high pitch, They also will use a CG that is a tad forward than even what one would use sport flying the same airplane. These are things that do make it a bit harder to slow down for landing it is obvious if one ever watchs that type of event.

So what to do? The answer is really simple and very quick to accomplish and costs nothing, it is also counter intuitive: You need only to reflex both ailerons up in neutral, perhaps only about 1/16th inch above the intrail position at neutral. This can simply be done with clevis if you like or electronically. Counter intuitive because most think of flaps but this is actually the opposite and has the effect of reducing lift ever so slightly. What doing that does is allow you to carry just a tad more power on the approach and control the approach even better than what you doing now. Give it a try only takes just a moment and it works.

Oh by the way it will actually make the airplane a tad faster at speed but the naysayers will suggest it messes up you arrowbatic flight, just not so and you notice nothing in that way but then agine a warbird is not exactly an IMAC competitor anyway.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 08-19-2013 at 07:36 AM.